Functional Wellness Practitioner Training
This is a brand new approach to health coaching bringing together the latest functional nutrition and health research into an interesting, easy to learn, applicable and practical coaching qualification
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for therapists of any modality. Are you looking to augment your knowledge with up to date nutrition and modern protocols to support clients with the health issues they face?
Do you want more up to date information for your clients? Have you stopped believing calories in/calories out being the answer for long term health?
Do you want more up-to-date nutrition and health knowledge including how hormones work, what our digestion needs and how different foods and supplements can make a huge change to our wellbeing?
Are you fed up in your current role and want to learn a new discipline, develop coaching skill, have a rewarding career doing something you love, are interested in and feel passionately about?
Why study Functional Wellness Coaching?
At the core of this training is the “Triangle of Hormonal Health” which supports student practitioners to easily understand the root cause of many symptoms. Discover natural solutions to bring someone's health into balance.
4 Phase Approach to Clients
We have a structured, analytical approach to wellbeing which enables you to focus on the priorities with someone's health, rather than overwhelming them with everything. This helps you feel confident in the pathway you have to offer.
Diet and Supplements
You will learn different diets plans, what is best to advise when and how to recommend nutritional supplementation for specific health outcomes.
This course is built on the latest functional nutrition and scientific health research so you are can trust the information you learn and the advice you give.
You will also learn how to arrange and understand basic lab testing for clients who need it.
Why is the Triangle of Hormonal Health so important?
In our clinical and research experience, there is a huge connection that is widely overlooked between stress hormones, blood sugars and sex hormones. Many of today’s widespread conditions reside in these arenas but most people don’t know how to support their bodies to fix the issue.
We call it The Triangle Of Hormonal Health. The interplays include
- blood sugar hormones including insulin, ghrelin, leptin
- stress hormones including cortisol (and the neurotransmitters adrenaline and nor adrenaline)
- sex hormones including oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone
When the hormones in the triangle are imbalanced, this
- overworks the liver causing ineffective metabolic waste clearance
- stresses the elimination organs – the bowels and kidneys causing digestive issues
- sends signals to the immune system that the body is in distress and creates imbalanced inflammatory responses
At the core of the Functional Wellness Coaching training is this interplay.The Triangle of Hormonal Health
Why the 4 Phases Approach and Stages of Treatment are so important?
The 4 Phases and Stages of Treatment are where the real genius of Functional Wellness comes in and they benefit both you as a practitioner and your clients. In Functional Wellness Coaching we have taken years of clinical experience and broken down what tool to use when.
This also benefits clients because you will KNOW the pathway for them and how to support them on their journey and it promotes self-responsibility. If they aren’t making the changes you are recommending how can you progress to the next stage and just keep trying new approaches on them? It makes sense for both the practitioner and the client that there is a clear pathway.
The final stage is where we have exhausted all other options and now as a practitioner, we can offer lab testing or refer on to specialist practitioners. Knowing what we can help and what we can’t means we can feel truly confident in what we are offering.
What can I do with this qualification?
This qualification is for those looking to become health coaches in private practice, become an alternative health teacher or fill a role in a corporate setting.
There is a great demand for knowledgeable health coaches. They fill a gap in the healthcare system that is underserved especially for those with chronic conditions who are looking for support in creating a lifestyle that supports their journey to good health.
This is where you will come in.
The course is split into 11 modules
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Nutrition for Health
- Foundation Coaching Skills
- Introduction to being a Functional Wellness Coach
- Blood Sugars
- Stress and Adrenals
- Immune System
- Consolidation with Lab Testing
- Business & Marketing Mastery
Includes Nutrition for Health
This course includes 53 hour module on nutrition which has all the essential, foundation knowledge needed to be a Functional Wellness Coach including
- History of Modern Nutrition
- Nutrients and Antinutrients
- Modern Food Production
- Digestion and the Microbiome
- Popular Diets
- Pathology of Health
- Nutritional Consultations
Includes Foundation Coaching Skills
This 60 hour module includes vital information for those working with clients and developing better communication skills. It covers
- How to communicate effectively
- Questioning and listening skills
- Barriers to communication
- Observation of body language and signals
- Disability & Equality
- 'Reclaim Your Life' - 12 hours of lectures designed to overcome your personal blocks so you can be a more effective coach
30 hours are delivered online. 15 hours are with a tutor and a peer in a call on zoom and 15 hours are online classrooms.
Includes 8 coaching case studies and homework including lesson tests and a book review..What is involved in Foundation Coaching Skills
Includes Business & Marketing Mastery
This 30 hour module includes 5 modules and 51 lessons including
- Professional Standards including code of conduct, health & safety and clients legal rights
- Business Planning including your vision, mission, business and financial plan
- Marketing including your marketing activity, setting your price, creating your personal branding, starting your own website, creating powerful social media and attending and hosting events
- Clinic Management including setting up, creating a professional image and planning your diary
- Self Management including self care, self awareness and overcoming challenges
Homework involves writing a business and marketing plan.What is involved in Business & Marketing Mastery
Includes Anatomy & Physiology
This bolt-on module will teach you about the workings of the body systems including the endocrine, digestive and immune systems which this course focuses on. Includes
- 90 hours of content delivered online
- Comprehensively covers all body systems
- Interactive tutorials and online assessments mean you can study completely from home
- Immediate online marking of multiple choice question and answer assessments – no written assignments
- Free access to a Resource Centre with links to videos, animation, and other resources to further support your study
(If you already have an Anatomy & Physiology qualification you may skip this module).
The course is made up of 350 hours and includes the following
- Anatomy and Physiology course (optional if you have an A&P qualification)
- Nutrition course including 8 case studies, book review and 2 essays
- Foundation Coaching module including 8 case studies, book review and peer coaching with a tutor
- Lessons and resources for 7 Functional Wellness modules
- Business and Marketing module with business and marketing planning
- Homework, book recommendations plus health book reviews
- 9 x one to one monthly mentoring with your tutor
- 9 x peer coaching sessions with a fellow student
- 9 group zoom classrooms (hosted monthly and recorded)
- 30 Functional Wellness case studies
- 32 case study reviews
- Recipe portfolio x 15 meal planning
- 2 final projects involving an essay of your choice and delivering a health talk
- End of module assessments
- Film a case study for assessment
- Learning logs to track your progress
What is the course format?
This is an online correspondence home learning course which makes it incredibly accessible and easy to work around your work and home life. All modules are created in video format, on our website and involve online meetings and group calls.
How long will it take me to complete from start to finish?
The course is 350 hours and is estimated 9-20 months to complete. Each month the new module is unlocked on completion of the module before. Module completion involves online lessons, homework, case studies, group work and mentoring. If you do not complete a module in a month, don't worry, you have 24 months to complete the course.
Is Kinesiology included in this training?
This is a nutrition and coaching course but if you are a qualified and practicing Kinesiology Practitioner with a governing body and insurance, you can buy the Functional Kinesiology bolt on (Note: This is for CPD only and will not qualify you as a Functional Kinesiology Practitioner). For more information please get in touch.Contact Us
Do I need any previous experience or qualifications?
No, this course is designed to take you from foundation to practitioner level. The course begins with a 53 hour foundation nutrition module and a 60 hour foundation coaching module before going into the more in-depth hormone practitioner training so you are given all the training you need even if you are a beginner. If you have previous training, that's great! But it is not necessary.Nutrition Course
How many hours is this course?
This course is 350 hours and is made up of online lessons, tutorials, assessments, group calls, peer coaching, homework, case studies and mentoring. Everything is designed to embed this knowledge and give you the confidence to use it with clients or in a work situation.
What happens if I need to defer?
Each student is given 24 months to complete the course. This give you the opportunity to go at your pace and to allow for any unexpected life occurrences. After 24 months we charge an admin fee of £100 to continue for another 18 months.
What does a health coach do?
Wellness coaching is different from other health and helping professions. Health coaches are “agents of change” for their clients.
Coaches can work with a variety of clients in a number of professional settings. There are so many people across the world who can benefit from working with a coach and numerous ways for coaches to build a career. There is no shortage of health coaching opportunities.
Is it a trustworthy qualification?
Yes very much so. The Functional Wellness Coach Diploma has been recognised as an accredited course by The Federation Of Holistic Therapists. The course is insured by Balens Ltd and the syllabus is in line with the National Occupational Standards.
Who is this course not for?
If you wish to be a dietitian, doctor or functional nutritionist who is trained to diagnose, treat, or prescribe treatments for patients, then this is not the qualification for you. This could be taken in conjunction with medical training but it is not part of this training.
Wellness coaches do not have this type of prescriptive, medical training, however they don’t need it to be successful in supporting diet, nutrition and lifestyle change for their clients, which will be your primary purpose of your wellness coaching role.
Do you make allowances for learning challenges?
Yes we do. All the learning is in different formats, including written documents, images, diagrams and videos that are able to be watched on repeat. All the assessments are not time prohibited so you can go at your own pace and take your notes in. If you have particular learning challenges that you wish to discuss with us, please contact us directly and we would be very happy to help.Contact Us
Is there an exam?
At the end of each module there is an approx. 30 minute multiple choice assessment to ensure you have understood the module. The pass rate is 80% and on successful completion, you move to the next module. If however, you don't pass, you will be given the option to resit. We also ask you to submit a video case study so we can see you in practice.Course Syllabus
What qualification do I receive?
You will be given the 'Functional Wellness Coach' Diploma which opens the opportunity to register with a recommended governing body, get insurance to practice and start charging for consultations should you wish.
When can I start?
The joy of studying a correspondence home study course is you can start right away! As soon as you have paid your deposit or paid in full, you can start learning.Start Now!
How do I get started?
Make a decision on the best pricing option for you and either pay for the course in full or pay your deposit to receive your first months study programme.Get Started Now!
Who is my mentor?
Claire Snowdon-Darling and Laura Knowles are the senior tutors on this course. They have years experience teaching health and coaching students. To find out more click here.Meet the Tutors
What our practitioner students say
Second to none expert teachers. Their approach is professional, empathetic and truly connects with all levels of students ensuring that everyone fully understands the course material.
I highly recommend for their phenomenal knowledge and guidance when it comes to studying health.
Extremely knowledgeable and engaging educators. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the thought provoking training that I have had and look forward to more in the future.
Planning and Time Frames
There are a couple of ways to approach this course.
Step by Step Over 20 Months
You can study the course in the order it was designed which is estimated to take 20 months.
- Anatomy & Physiology 2 months
- Nutrition for Health 1 month
- Foundation Coaching Skills 7 months
- Functional Wellness Practitioner 9 months
- Business & Marketing Mastery 1 month
Intensive Training Over 9 Months
Or you can do it all at once which would take an estimated 9 months and involves a commitment of a monthly mentoring session, a monthly tutor supported peer coaching and an evening classroom.
The course in total requires 14 peer sessions and 46 case studies (16 in foundation, 30 in practitioner). We recommend getting case studies who are happy to be seen monthly for the duration of the course as its great to monitor their continual progress.